Northumberland Elder Abuse Resource Network
Northumberland Elder Abuse Resource Network (NEARN) was created in the Spring of 2006 to facilitate the planning and coordination of services related to elder abuse prevention in Northumberland County and to provide education and awareness about Elder Abuse in the community.
NEARN is a not-for-profit, 100% volunteer organization that is funded by contributions from individuals, in-kind support from agencies and by fund raising activities in our communities. Members reflect the diverse geographic areas of Northumberland County as well as health, social services, justice, ethno culture, seniors, housing, faith, education sectors, First Nations and individuals concerned about the issue of Elder Abuse.
NEARN is committed to working toward creating a safe community for older adults – the kind of community that we want to grow up in – and to grow old in.
What do we do?
- Provide a forum for members of the community to meet, discuss and develop strategies, protocols, standards and procedures relating to the prevention of elder abuse
- Plan and coordinate educational activities relating to the prevention of elder abuse
- Reach out to a broad spectrum of the community to increase awareness and promote the prevention of elder abuse
- Create linkages and partnerships with Regional, Provincial and National committees to promote and facilitate the coordination of activities relating to the prevention of elder abuse
- Assist communities to access resources relating to the prevention of elder abuse
For information about elder abuse follow the link to Elder Abuse Ontario www.elderabuseontario.com
Supports for seniors/senior issues:
Anishnaabe Kwewag Gamig Regional Women’s Shelter
Campbellford Memorial Hospital
Central East Community Care Access Centre
Cobourg Community Centre
Cobourg Police Service
Cobourg Retirement Residence
Community Care Northumberland
Community Nursing Home (Warkworth)
Cornerstone Family Violence Prevention Centre
Elder Abuse Ontario
GAIN – Port Hope Community Health Centre 905-885-2626
The Help Centre
Northumberland County Legal Centre
Northumberland County Social Services
Northumberland Family Health Team
Northumberland Hills Hospital
Ontario Provincial Police
Port Hope Police Services
Victim Services Peterborough & Northumberland
VON – Assisted Living Services