DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HUB
The Thrive Northumberland Community Hub is a walk-in service that is free and confidential. The Hub operates every Monday from 9am to 1pm and is located inside Cornerstone Family Violence Prevention Centre, 40 Swayne Street, Cobourg, ON.
PROVIDING ACCESS TO MULTIPLE SERVICES AT ONE LOCATION FOR WOMEN 16+ WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED ABUSE OR VIOLENCE.
Women can choose from the following services:
- Family court information
- Crisis and supportive counseling
- Links to shelters
- Safety assessment and risk management strategies
- Primary health care
- Partner assault response program
- Child service witness program
- Ontario Works income and employment support
- Social housing
- Ontario Electricity Support Program
- Children’s Aid support/advice
- Personal action plan and community referrals
The Hub exists to enhance the level of service made available to women who have experienced abuse or violence through community collaboration.
We do this by providing women with immediate access to essential onsite support services, ensuring confidential consultations, and facilitating direct referrals to offsite partners.
Our services are organized into six key areas of support: crisis counseling, safety planning, legal counseling, housing and income support, First Nations services and New Canadian resources.
Coordinated help under one roof for women in Northumberland County who have experienced abuse or violence.
The Hub adheres to the Coalition’s statement of principles, as it’s guiding values for service delivery and community referrals:
- Human-centric: Our work, services and programs follow a person-first philosophy.
- Community level support: Our coordinated approach addresses systemic issues at the community level through social networking, re-enforcing community links, leveraging service partnership referrals and exchanging support through shared resources.
- Safety: Our network of community agencies and services believe that all women and children have the right to live in safety and dignity. Our members are committed to creating environments where all women feel safe..
- Collaboration: Our members are committed to working cooperatively and collaboratively to achieve our mission.
- Confidentiality: We promise that all persons will be treated with integrity, trust, anonymity, confidentiality, openness, honesty and non-judgment in every situation.
- Accessibility: Members will work to ensure that information and services must be accessible and sensitive to all people of all races, faith and spiritual beliefs, languages, cultures, ages, abilities (physical, emotional, developmental), economic situations, geographic locations, and sexual orientation.
- Accountability: Our coordinated services and community events/activities must be accountable to all abused individuals and their children through the provision of resources, alternatives and options, as legislatively mandated, which allow for informed choice.
- Empowerment: Members will support and advocate for women’s individual and collective right to make their own decisions.
- Equality: Freedom from domestic abuse is a fundamental human right for everyone. Everyone has the right to be equal partners in all aspects of society. Our members will advocate for equity and social justice in an effort to address and eliminate barriers to ending domestic abuse and sexual assault in Northumberland County.
- Inclusion: Our members believe that everyone is responsible for ending violence against women and creating a violence-free community.
- Respect: We will ensure that every woman and child is treated equitably at our activities, services and events. Our members will also respect women’s rights to make their own decisions and choices for themselves, their bodies and their children.
Thrive’s one-door model of service is for people who have experienced intimate partner violence, including sexual assault. Our VAW Community Hub is made up of collective partnerships that offer access to primary services at one location at one time.
In addition to our Onsite Service Providers, we work with the following community partners to ensure you receive efficient and effective care. Click on the agency name to be redirected to their website for contact information.
- Green Wood Coalition
- The Help Centre of Northumberland
- TEAM YMCA Northumberland
- Salvation Army Community & Family Services
- Northumberland Elder Abuse Resource Network
- Elder Abuse Ontario
- West Northumberland Community Living
- Kawartha Sexual Assault Centre
- Northumberland for Youth
- Northumberland Child Development Centre
Victim Services/Assistance Program
- Victim Services Peterborough Northumberland
- Victim Witness Assistance Program Northumberland
- Boost Child Victim Witness Support Program
Mental Health Services
- Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge Health Unit
- Peterborough Regional Health Care Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Program
First Nations Supports